Apply to Program
Consider participating in one of the programs offered by the Chesapeake Language Project.
To apply for the mentorship program, download the appropriate document linked below and e-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chesapeake Language Project Mentoring program aims to facilitate immigrant students' access to higher education and postsecondary opportunities. The mentoring program uses adtul volunteers to provide one-to-one for current or former English learners by providing support with academic decisions during high school and beyond. By becoming an integral partner in the student's academic journey, the mentor will contribute to the academic and professional outcomes of the student.
- Take the lead in supporting a young person through an ongoing, one-to-one relationship
- Serve as a positive role model and friend
- Build the relationship by participating in activities together
- Strive for mutual respect
- Build self-esteem and motivation
- Help set goals and work toward accomplishing them
- Make a multi-year commitement
- Spend a minimum of three hours per month one-to-one with a mentee
- Communicate with the mentee regularly
- Attend an initial training session and additional training each academic year of participation in the program
- Attend optional mentor/mentee group events and programs recognition events
This year, the Chesapeake Language Project will offer two $1000.00 scholarships to graduating Maryland seniors.
Student selection criteria include:
- A current or former English learner
- A current 12th grader
- A student with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A student with extracurricular or work experience
- A student who has applied to or been accepted to a college or university
For consideration for this scholarship, complete the application below. Before applying, have your high school transcript, your completed extended responses and the e-mail addresses of two teachers or community members who are willing to write a recommendation for your consideration. APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON APRIL 15, 2018.